Arthritis is a degenerative disease of joints that usually results from chronic wear and tear. Arthritis is the number one cause of chronic pain in dogs and cats.
A few questions you might think about if you have an older dog:
- Is your pet having difficulty getting up and down stairs or in and out of the car?
- Is he/she stiff when getting up after lying down?
- Is your pet more irritable than usual or restless when sleeping?
If you have a cat:
- Is he/she reluctant to jump up on to furniture?
- Does your cat avoid being picked up?
- Has there been a change in response to grooming?
These are all potential signs of arthritis.