Bellevue Veterinary Hospital, Parksville

Click-to-Call:
(250) 248-2031

Toxins,

Antifreeze (Ethylene Glycol) Poisoning

WARNING TO PARKSVILLE PET OWNERS!

This week, we are issuing a warning to pet owners about the potential for antifreeze poisoning in the downtown Parksville area.

Bellevue Veterinary Hosptial has dealt with two cases of antifreeze poisoning within one week — both of which came from the same general area in Parksville. These pets resided in the area of Pym Street, Soriel Road & Highway 19A.

We don’t immediately believe the animals were poisoned deliberately, but we want pet owners to be aware of the risk. Antifreeze is tasty and pets (especially dogs) are quite happy to drink it.

For the most part, people are probably very careful about handling this very toxic material. But there could be vehicles that are leaking or it’s possible that someone has inadvertently discarded the liquid in an unsafe manner.

Pets and Halloween

halloweenHalloween is great fun for most of us.

Kids and grown-ups alike find it a time for the imagination to let loose & fantastical characters to be brought to life. It’s a time of hilarious costumes, bright lights and noise – (and candy!) We humans might have fun with this, but it’s often a confusing time for animals. Most pets are alarmed by the doorbell repeatedly ringing and visitors endlessly appearing, but some can even be intimidated by the costumes as well. Who really knows what our dogs and cats think of all this?But we do know that those who are frightened can act in ways that are unpredictable.