Bellevue Veterinary Hospital, Parksville

(250) 248-2031

Travelling With Your Pet

Planning Ahead

travelling petsSharing cross-border adventures with your pet can be fun and rewarding but there are a few things to consider before you start packing. Travelling overseas with Fido or Fluffy can mean a lot of official paperwork to be filled out by you and your veterinarian. Some countries have restrictions on which types and breeds of animals are eligible for entry so it's best to do your research ahead of time.

Depending on your destination, you might be fine with a regular Health Certificate from your veterinarian and proof of current vaccinations. Or you might require a Canadian International Health Certificate endorsed by an official government veterinarian, additional vaccines and vaccine titers, a microchip, and proof of flea and tick control. Some countries may require you to quarantine your pet for varying periods of time.

If your country of choice requires you to have a Canadian International Health Certificate then it MUST be printed on legal paper (8.5" x 14") or it will be rejected. All documents must be signed in blue ink.

Continue Reading